Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dick Powell Trivia

Dick Powell had a long career in the entertainment industry, and he met a lot of famous people who had plenty to say about him. See if you can guess who said what:

1. "He always seemed to be in good humor. He gave the impression of always enjoying what he was doing."
     HINT: This starlet was romantically linked with Powell in the newspapers.

2. "Dick hated wearing suits. He was a sportscoat man."
     HINT: This man called Dick his mentor.

3. "Dick Powell had a wonderful way of singing 'When Irish Eyes are Smiling' off key. It was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. In order to sing off key deliberately, one must have excellent pitch, and Dick used to kill me with this crazy thing."
     HINT: He appeared in two movies with Dick, but was more often co-starring with Joan Blondell.

4. "We both bought airplanes and we learned to fly together and we used to go off sometimes into the desert to some stop you know for breakfast or something. He loved all those kind of things."
     HINT: He directed Dick in a role that revitalized his career.

5. "About a year later, I was rushed to the hospital for an operation-- tonsillitis or something-- and when I got home there were two packages from Dick Powell for me. One was a beautiful little evening purse with my initials in gold, and in the other package were a dozen handkerchiefs with my name on them."
     HINT: This child star was originally going to appear in Broadway Gondolier until she was assigned to a different picture.

6. "Dick didn't make noise about his acting, or his marriage troubles, or even his losing fight with cancer. A sane, sensible, stoic man, he was also a loving husband and father and showman of rare ability."
     HINT: She re-introduced Dick to one of his wives.

7. "I'll never forget the day Dick Powell, who had finally given up smoking after being told he had cancer, wryly requested a cigarette sandwich when I asked if I could get him anything."
     HINT: She was married to one of the most famous Hollywood icons of all time.

1 comment:

  1. I think #3 is Cagney, if I remember correctly...

    ReplyDelete